Yummy! I love this orange cake so simple and delish. Looking on the internet at many great websites and I’d seen this orange cake and I had to make one. This was a perfect opportunity to make it with my daughter . While preparing the orange she had a strange look on her face wondering why would I put orange in a cake. Of course when she was licking the spoon she was amazed how yummy orange cake is.
This cake has a lovely buttery flavour and the orange is not overpowering. A good tip is to try some of the orange juice before using it in the cake because if, for some reason, it is not a good orange it could effect the taste. I will definitely make this cake again.
- 125 g butter softened
- ⅔ cup caster sugar
- grated rind 1 large orange
- 2 eggs
- 1 ½ cups self-raising flour
- Juice from 1 orange
- 2 tbsp milk
- 45 g butter softened
- grated rind of ½ orange
- 2 tbsp freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 ⅓ cup icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C and line a loaf cake tin
- Place the softened butter, caster sugar and orange rind in the bowl and beat for 8 minutes until it's pale and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs 1 at a time until well combined.
- Add the flour and mix until combined.
- Add juice and milk and mix until combined.
- Place the cake into the pre-heated oven and bake for 40 minutes. Test with inserting a skewer in to middle of cake and comes out clean it is done.
- Cool cake in the tin for 10minutes before turning onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- Place the softened butter, orange rind and icing sugar into a bowl.
- Add the orange juice and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the icing over the top of the cooled cake and let the icing to set. If the icing is a bit hard to pour over cake smoothly, add a couple of drops of juice or water.