It’s nearly Valentine’s day and love hearts everywhere. My husband and I don’t really celebrate Valentine’s day, but we do acknowledge it. Every now and then we might get each other chocolate, or I might bake something sweet and delicious like Love Heart Sponge.
While cleaning out cook books I have found my Grandmothers sponge recipe and I thought it would be a good idea to make these cute little love hearts.
The flavour combinations I used are strawberry and coconut, Nutella and cream, or you can choose a flavour combo that you love. Lemon curd and cream, your favourite jam and cream, lamington or Fresh strawberries and cream.
I have also have used this sponge recipe which is a recipe from my Lamington cake.
- 1/2 cup Self-raising flour
- 1/4 cup Plain flour
- 1/4 cup Cornflour
- 4 Eggs at room temperature
- 3/4 cup Caster sugar
Preheat oven to 160’C, line and grease 22cm x 32cm tin.
Sift flour and cornflour into a bowl.
- In a separate large bowl use an electric beater to beat the eggs and sugar for 10-12 minutes or until thick, pale and creamy.
Sift half the flour mixture over the egg and sugar mixture and gently fold flour into mixture until just combined. Repeat with remaining flour.
Bake for 12-15 minutes or until golden and the cake springs back when lightly tapped. Let cake to cool slightly in pan for about 5 minutes until turning on to wire rack to completely cool.
Strawberry and Coconut Sponge Hearts
To make the sponge you can get the recipe here. Use what ever size you think for the heart shape cookie cutters. I used 2 different sizes
- 1/2 bottle of Strawberry topping
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- Once the cake has cooled use a cookie cutter and cut your hearts out.
- Put topping in a bowl and coconut on a plate.
- Start dipping the hearts in the topping and remove any excess topping , then place on coconut plate and cover with coconut
Decorate: try piping whipped cream on top and some sprinkles.
Nutella and Cream Sponge
ponge recipe here
- 1-2 cups of Nutella
- approx. 2 cups of whipped cream
- Once cake has cooled use cookie cutter to cut out heart shapes
- Put Nutella in piping bag, and pipe on top of heart.
- Pipe cream on top of the Nutella then place another sponge on top. Pipe Nutella on top and add sprinkles.
Decorate: Sprinkles of your choice.