Delicious Chocolate Cake with Sour Cream Icing. I was looking through recipes and came across Chocolate Sour Cream icing. I haven’t actually herd of using sour cream as icing before, so I thought I’d give it a go.
You gotta love how chocolate cake has so many variations. I love chocolate cake especially with a ganache, so why change a good thing and try something different? The more variations I try the more my chocolate obsession stays alive and my taste buds want more.
Cake is sweet especially with a buttercream or ganache icing. Even though this Sour Cream icing has sugar in it, it does cut the sweetness down a little bit. The cake is fluffy and chocolaty while the Chocolate Sour Cream icing is thick and rich, a perfect combination. Perfect with my cup of coffee.
Chocolate Cake with Chocolate Sour Cream Icing
1 cup of plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup cocoa powder
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 cup boiling water
Sour Cream Icing
180g of dark Chocolate
½ cup of sour cream
1 tsp of vanilla essence.
Preheat oven 160’C fan forced and grease and line 23cm square tin, any other tin please adjust your baking time.
- Place dry ingredients flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt into a bowl and mix until combined.
- Add egg, milk and vanilla to dry ingredients and mix until combined, then mix on medium speed for about 2 min.
- Add the boiling water and stir gently.
- Pour batter into dish and bake for approx. 35 min. Test cake with skewer, if comes out clean then is ready.
- Once cooked cool for 10 minutes then turn cake out onto cooling rack to cool completely.
- Make the Icing. Melt chocolate in microwave safe bowl, stirring after 20 second intervals until melted. Stir in sour cream and vanilla essence and mix until well combined and fluffier.
- Pour over cooled cake. Enjoy!